On Jul 10, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Martin Crundall wrote:

Hello;

I am seeing the following in stdout.log:

…
[07:32:08.049] JDK detected deadlock. Restarting Resin.
Resin Professional 3.0.22 (built Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:41:30 PST)
Copyright(c) 1998-2006 Caucho Technology.  All rights reserved.
…

This is happening several times a day across three servers.

I have just enabled finer-grained logging, but I am wondering if there is a way to have a thread dump trigger automatically when the restart occurs.

It should be dumping the broken threads already (at the severe level, so you shouldn't need to change the logs).

The 3.0.x version uses reflection to get the thread dump and that might be failing for some reason (and it looks like any exception is getting swallowed.) I'm updating 3.1 and 3.2 to make sure any exception gets logged, and changing the display of that thread dump, but I'm not sure what to suggest in the meantime. Without the thread dump, it would be extremely difficult to track down the deadlock.

-- Scott

Many thanks and best regards,

Martin