Thanks for the reply,

my configuration comes directly from the documentation:

<filter filter-name="gzip" filter- class="com.caucho.filters.GzipFilter"/>
        <filter-mapping filter-name="gzip" url-pattern="/*"/>

The interesting thing is that other files seem to zip fine. I am consistently hitting encoding issues with this particular GWT cache.html file. Gzip and Resin appears to be returning the code just fine. Yet somehow I am getting content encoding errors from Safari, Firefox, and now-tested Curl (I was trying to use curl to figure out what exactly is the problem, but no go).

The files are all accessed through SSL if that has any relevance. I'm also running under Linux