After using Resin 2.1 for a long long time we upgraded to Resin 3.0 some time
last year, and some months ago to 3.1.

We use stacktraces from the running VM for debugging, but the process of
retriving the correct PID when running on unix is now quite hard when we have
10+ resin VM's running on the same server (jps just shows multiple Resin and
WatchdogManager processes).

Previous versions (prior to 3.1 at least) used to have a -pid-file (or similar)
option, so the parent resin PID was recorded. This made it easy to get hold of
the child PID with a bit of gawk-magic, but with 3.1 this is no longer a

What can I do to record the PID of a newly launched Resin process - or even
better - the PID for the Java VM it spawns?

Jens Dueholm Christensen
Business Process and Improvement, Rambøll Survey IT