On Sep 18, 2008, at 1:58 AM, Jens Dueholm Christensen wrote:

- Was there anything I could or should have done earlier to find the error (except to trace an Apache process as I did)? - Was Resin’s mod_caucho (from the pro version 3.0.24) behaviour as expected – ie. it kept a really large cache-file updated on every request and persisted over restartes of both Apache and Resin? - Can Resin detect when performance issues arrise due to the large size and possible do something? - Can I somehow configure how often this file is updated – the documentation on the <dependency-check-interval> tag Scott mentioned doesn’t mention the effect on the localhost_<srun port> files? - Shouldn’t these files be reset or removed when a VM is shut down or started to ensure optimal performance?
- Is the default behaviour different in Resin 3.1.x?
- Is there a bug somewhere or somehow?
- Did I do the “right thing” to remove the files, or should I have done something else entirely?

Removing the files is fine. It's just a cache to deal with Apache's process model.

The behavior and synchronization were improved significantly in 3.1.x. Specifically, if the <dependency-check-interval> is 1h or more (i.e. a typical production environment), the updates between mod_caucho and Resin only occur each hour for all processes. (For smaller values, each individual Apache process might query the backend.)

The files need to stay around for Resin restarts -- that's part of the point. Since mod_caucho needs to ask Resin what files belong to Resin and what files belong to Apache, the map needs to be cached even when Resin is not available, so non-Resin files can be served normally.

-- Scott

Regards,
Jens Dueholm Christensen
Rambøll Survey IT