I've come to learn that the problem is not Resin.  As you've noted, it's
groovyc.  I've not considered your suggestion before but I will give it a
try.  Your blog post is quite interesting.  Not sure what to make of this
whole thing and what it really says about groovy's use out said of grails.
It sucks to have to dig this deep just to use Groovy in a covenient way.

Thanks for the help.