On Dec 5, 2008, at 1:29 AM, Richard Grantham wrote:

> Well, usually it's 60 minutes. The 60 second timeout is set when
> someone
> closes the browser without logging out (JavaScript catches the event
> and
> calls a JSP which sets the new session timeout with
> session.setMaxInactiveInterval(60)). This is so that if someone loses
> their connection to the internet they will be able to continue working
> without issue when it comes back (assuming it's back in under an
> hour).
> The timeout is being set by the JSP but is not acted upon.
>
> Perhaps I should explain the use case. Our application maintains a
> list
> who is logged into the system. It also allows people to lock things
> for
> editing. So that people can't lock things and go off on holiday
> preventing others from working we unlock anything they have locked and
> clear them out of the logged in list when a session is invalidated.
> Right now people are just closing the browser and going home and their
> colleagues are unable to continue the work the next day. I'd agree
> that
> half the issue is education ("please press logout") but it's also
> something we need to be pro-active about.

Thanks.  I've filed a bug report at http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=3122
.

Your symptoms are a definite bug, since the maximum slack should be
about 15 minutes for session expiry (because of the implementation
limitations I'd mentioned).  Nothing at all like a day.

-- Scott

>>> Main: (020) 7566 3320