On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:14:36PM -0500, Aaron Freeman wrote:
> After watching a few of these threads about people using mod_caucho with
> Apache, it dawned on me to ask an open-ended question:
>
> Why use Apache at all?
>
> I am sure there are good reasons for it out there, so I am just curious what
> the use-case is for using Apache plus Resin instead of using just Resin?

Thanks for asking this Aaron!  We're getting a lot of useful feedback.
(You tell that you've hit a nerve when so many people respond so
 quickly... :-))

>From the point of view of support, I can say that whenever Apache enters
the equation, the complexity goes way up.  If there's any way you can
avoid using Apache with Resin, I would recommend it.  For those who need
things like mod_perl or run other application servers, you may have no
other choice.

Someone else mentioned Apache mod_rewrite, which we have an alternative
for in our rewrite dispatch rules:

http://caucho.com/resin/doc/rewrite-tags.xtp

I find the XML syntax much more readable than the line-noise syntax of
mod_rewrite.

Emil

Emil Ong
Chief Evangelist
Caucho Technology, Inc.
Tel. (858) 456-0300
mailto:e...@caucho.com
http://blog.caucho.com/

Caucho: Reliable Open Source
--> Resin: application server
--> Quercus: PHP in Java
--> Java CanDI: contexts and dependency injection