From: Stargazer <starga...@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: General Discussion for the Resin application server
<resin-interest@caucho.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:39:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Resin-interest] Perf Issues

Ronan Lucio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have had a perf issue.
>
> Our servers have 4Gb RAM. It has just Resin and Apache installed.
>
> The problem is, when I start Resin, the whole server uses about 2.5 Gb RAM
> After that memory usage keep growing til it reachs the 4Gb RAM, use swap
> and so on.
>
> After few hours the application start getting slow.
> Analyzing the server sources, it's using so low CPU, load about 1... I
> see none overload evidence, except for RAM memory.
>
> So I just restart Resin and/or Apache and application gets fast again,
> but few ours later it will raise the same issue.

I have been suffering from exactly those symptoms for years.
Do your httpd processes consume all the swap, with top showing some at
450Mb? (default httpd.conf values)  I.e does restarting apache alone,
and not resin, cause the swap to drop back down to normal until the next
slow growth starts it all again?

That is my pattern. So when I profile resin theres no unusual growth
even through the whole server is effectiviley dead until restart. Given
that, whos to blame? Could mod_caucho somehow be at fault even though
resin itself is ok?

I have another identical server running a couple of PHP CMS apps, no
resin or java in sight - because of this problem actually. The plan is
to move everything over when stable but these have become too critical
to play with. Their typical httpd swap use is 25Mb, and its the default
httpd.conf. I would dearly love to know what the httpd on the failing
server thinks it needs to hold onto 450Mb for, without tweaking there
could be 20 of these. There are other non-quercus PHP apps running on
that server btw.

My "solution" is to kill child httpd processes at a far quicker rate
than you'd normally want, and it works of sorts:

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       8
MinSpareServers    5
MaxSpareServers   20
ServerLimit      256
MaxClients       256
MaxRequestsPerChild  96
</IfModule>

<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         2
MaxClients         150
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  96
</IfModule>
> This problem usually happens on peaks hours.
>
> So we upgraded RAM memory to 8Gb with a PAE kernel.
> Although it doesn't reach the 8G RAM, slow moments gots for frequent. It
> seems to work worse that way (8Gb + PAE kernel).
>
> The question is:
> Is there everyone having the same issue with Resin (3.1.6)?
> My doubt if such problem resides either on Resin or on my application.

All versions prior to 3.1.6, and currently with 3.2.1 Pro