From our years using Resin and other containers, even though
basically Resin, we have found basically 2 things that containers do
not like:

.- Swap memory. I know it's stating the obvious, but when your app is
running out of memory and the GC starts working like frenzy, the worst
it can happen is that the memory it is working with is on disk. That's
where the CPU usage starts going up the roof and there's no way to
stop the JVM but with a hard kill.

.- Restarting the context. Yeah, contexts should not be restarted in
production, but sometimes it happens. No matter how good a container
is or how careful you are with your application, there are many
third-party libraries that were not really well thought-out for a
multi-classloader environment and they leave dangling references,
which in many cases means the old classloader is not properly cleaned
and retains, sort of, a copy of all your WEB-INF/lib/.jar's in memory.
Unless you do all on your own, we consider this one a lost battle,
because there are so many popular libraries that cause such problems...

We don't use mod_caucho, so we don't usually have problems with
Apache, so in our case we simply make sure to stay in the "safe" RAM
memory zone and restart the servers once a day just to stay on the
safe side as well. There are some nodes we don't restart and can stay
up for months, but our environment is many small applications and they
don't need to be 24/7, so that works better for us.

 From your description it looks more probable to be a problem of your
application, but even if it is not, as the other people recommended, a
memory profiler should do wonders to find out what's going on. Take a
memory snapshot when the application is in regular usage and then
another when the memory starts growing too much and compare them. I've
used YourKit Java Profiler in those situation with the
compare-snapshots option and worked quite well. Many other profilers
also have that capability.

S!
D.

>>> Ronan