On Mar 22, 2009, at 04:29, Stargazer wrote:

> Rob Lockstone wrote:

>>> Thanks, but as I'd hoped I'd made clear Resin itself shows flat
>>> memory
>>> use, whether using jconsole, jprofiler, /resin-admin or any of the
>>> other
>>> jvmti tools I've used to try to fix this. The memory consumption
>>> occurs
>>> outside java.
>>>

>> I don't know about Ronan's problem, but yours sounds like non-java-
>> heap memory or "native" memory is being exhausted. In my experience,
>> the biggest consumers of that are threads and graphic operations.
>> Depending on the system you're running on, your default stack size
>> could be quite large. Have you tried setting your stack size to a
>> much
>> smaller value via -Xss? Unless you're doing a lot of heavy recursion,
>> the chance that you'll need a large stack is fairly remote. On our
>> (very busy) Windows boxes, we use a stack size of 128K (-Xss128K).
>> Keep in mind that on a 32-bit system (not sure what you're running
>> on), you have only 2G of addressable memory per process. So if you
>> define a larg(ish) java heap, you have only 2G - YourHeapSize to use
>> for allocating memory for threads and other non-java operations, such
>> as some graphics operations.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> How come this doesn't happen when I move the non-resin stuff (i.e. the
> PHP apps) to another server? Its Linux Fed 7, dual core, 1G Ram/4G
> swap.
> What I'm really asking is how can you be sure its not mod_caucho? Btw
> there are no graphics operations involved, and the PHP apps are all
> popular packages like Joomla and Pligg, so if these were at fault I'm
> sure the users would be screaming in their forums about it.

I don't know that it's not mod_caucho. I'm only suggesting a possible
cause and something to try. Iirc, at least some versions of resin
(perhaps all) set their own stack size if the user does not specify
one. If this is the case, it may be that the version you're using is
setting a stack size that is larger than the default stack size of
your OS (or larger than the stack size set by whatever other software
you're using to run you PHP apps). Anyway, it's easy to set and easy
to test.

Rob