I'm running Resin 4.0 on Mac OS X. I have a .jsp file encoded as
UTF-8, and I pass -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 to the jvm. At the top of my
JSPs, I have

<%@ page contentType="application/xhtml+xml; charset=UTF-8"%>

I've verified that the JSP thinks the request and response encodings
are UTF-8 with:

<%
        org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger("com.latencyzero").warn("Encoding:
"+ request.getCharacterEncoding());
        org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger("com.latencyzero").warn("resp
Encoding: "+ response.getCharacterEncoding());
%>

But, the copyright symbol in my source file, which looks fine in my
UTF-8 aware text editor, renders as a capital A with a grave accent,
and the copyright symbol.

What aspect of the encoding am I forgetting?

TIA,
Rick