[Resin-interest] Cookie security over SSL (https)
connections<http://maillist.caucho.com/pipermail/resin-interest/2009-September/004027.html>

 [Resin-interest] Cookie security over SSL (https) connections *Jeff
Schnitzer* jeff at infohazard.org
<resin-interest%40caucho.com?Subject=%5BResin-interest%5D%20Cookie%20security%20over%20SSL%20%28https%29%20connections&In-Reply-To=915837840909090344ye834f35t23cbd41bd44c423b%40mail.gmail.com>
*Wed Sep 9 09:30:32 CDT 2009*

   connections

<http://maillist.caucho.com/pipermail/resin-interest/2009-September/004026.html>
]<http://maillist.caucho.com/pipermail/resin-interest/2009-September/date.html#4027>
[
   thread
]<http://maillist.caucho.com/pipermail/resin-interest/2009-September/thread.html#4027>
[
   subject
]<http://maillist.caucho.com/pipermail/resin-interest/2009-September/subject.html#4027>
[
   author
]<http://maillist.caucho.com/pipermail/resin-interest/2009-September/author.html#4027>

------------------------------

Why aren't you creating the cookies with setSecure(true) in the first place?

If you have tons of legacy code that sets cookies, why not create a
Filter that wraps HttpServletResponse (there is a convenient
HttpServletResponseWrapper for this), intercepts the addCookie()
method calls, and calls setSecure(true)?

If you want this value set, you need to set it outbound, not after
they've already been to the browser.

Jeff

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Abhinav Gupta<abhinav at appirio.com
>* Hi All,
*>*
*>*
*>* This problem is regarding cookie security over SSL(https). We are running a
*>* J2EE webapplication, our motive is to get the cookie's "isSecure" flag set
*>* to true. We tried researching around the resin config settings for this but
*>* no luck. Details of the approach we tried and the issue faced are elaborated
*>* below.
*>*
*>* Enviornment Details
*>* ====================
*>* 1. Resin 3.1.7 server running a webapplication called "tool"
*>* 2. Apache is in the front forwarding/redirecting all inbound traffic to the
*>* resin server.
*>* 3. Apache is setup with trusted SSL certificates from godaddy.
*>*
*>*
*>* Problem Details
*>* ================
*>* By default for all secure https requests, resin is sending cookies back with
*>* "isSecure" flag as false.
*>* We tried looking for resin config settings to fix this, but can't find any
*>* setting. So we created a Servlet filter in our webapp
*>* to trap all inbound requests and manually set the isSecure flag to true.
*>*
*>* This servlet filter approach partially fixed the problem. We are saying
*>* partially because there are two cookies created by
*>* the application in browser.
*>*
*>* Cookie 1: Its path is "<domain name>/" and the isSecure flag is "false"
*>* Cookie 2: Its path is "<domain name>/tools" and the isSecure flag is "true"
*>*
*>* So Cookie 2 is as expected, but Cookie 1 is not coming secured, to fix this
*>* we tried deploying the same servlet filter in the ROOT webapp of resin. But
*>* the problem persisted as before.
*>*
*>*
*>* Here is the servlet filter code.
*>*
*>* public class CookieFilter implements Filter {
*>*
*>*     public void doFilter(ServletRequest req, ServletResponse res,
*>*             FilterChain chain) throws ServletException, IOException {
*>*         // Secure if its a Http based request
*>*         if (req instanceof HttpServletRequest) {
*>*             HttpServletRequest httpReq = (HttpServletRequest) req;
*>*             HttpServletResponse httpRes = (HttpServletResponse) res;
*>*             Cookie[] cookies = httpReq.getCookies();
*>*             if (cookies != null && cookies.length > 0) {
*>*                 for (Cookie cookie : cookies) {
*>*                     // Make the cookie secure
*>*                     cookie.setSecure(true);
*>*                     // Add it to the response
*>*                     httpRes.addCookie(cookie);
*>*                 }
*>*             }
*>*         }
*>*         chain.doFilter(req, res);
*>*     }
*>*
*>*     public void init(FilterConfig arg0) throws ServletException {
*>*     }
*>*
*>*     public void destroy() {
*>*     }