On Sep 22, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Rob Lockstone wrote:

> I've never seen this before and can't find this string in the Resin
> (non-Pro) source. This happened on several of our server this morning.
> But I've never seen it happen before in months of running this
> particular configuration.
>
> Environment:
>
> Windows Server 2003
> Resin Pro 3.1.9 - 100 Server License
> JDK 1.6_13
>
> What would cause this?

Certain types of deadlock or a true JVM or thread freeze.  It's
detected by the <ping> service.

Resin has an timer thread in Alarm that returns the internal current
time for Resin.  If that thread freezes, Resin's internal time won't
be updated and will become out of sync with the
System.currentTimeMillis().  If that discrepancy gets very large
(15m), Resin will force an exit.  Basically, it's an indication that
something is very, very wrong with the JVM.

Since I just updated the shutdown logic for 4.0.2, it might be
possible for Resin to give a thread dump before exiting in that case.
Previously, Resin just does a halt() because the JVM might be in such
a bad state that any additional work might create new problems.

-- Scott