On Sep 24, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Jeff Schnitzer wrote:

> I wrote up a quick blurb on the issues surrounding character encoding
> on the Resteasy list recently:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=540eb7210908281001r6aafaa55u78615debb704e4c1%40mail.gmail.com
>
> The short of it is that, if you can get away with it, you should set
> UTF-8 everywhere.  In particular, you should set the platform default
> with -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 and ensure that all your pages are rendered
> in utf-8 (ie with the JSP directive).  It's cool that Resin has a
> config parameter for this, but it will be obviated by setting the
> platform default - right, Scott?

Hmm.  Yes, it should, but actually I need to check that.  Resin's
command-line tests are a different section of the test suite (because
it launches an external Resin) and I'm not sure we have coverage.
I've filed a bug to make sure it's not forgotten.  Resin might just be
defaulting to utf-8.

Because of the Servlet/JSP TCK, we have a bit of a problem because the
TCK requires all the defaults to be ISO-8859-1, but we want the
default to be file.encoding or UTF-8.

-- Scott