I understand your point of view : separate url management and
application logic. It seems a good practice.

In the same time this probably comes from the idea that search engine
friendly urls are "added" to the application, which basically does not
need it.
On one hand it is true. The url "/user/name" is an alias of
"/servlet?command=showuser&id=1354" in a functionnal point of view.
On the other hand, you may think of the SEF url as a request by itself,
and the controller is in charge of handling requests, of any syntax. So
if my controller parses the url "/servlet?command=showuser&id=1354", why
couldn't it parse the url "/user/name" instead directly ? This removes
from the application one level of control and complexity .

Am-I right ?