Not a version issue.

An entitymanager should not get transaction by itself. Transaction in
a modern java appserver should be XA or JTA transaciton.
An entitymanager will detect if there is a JTA transaction existing
and will join it if there is an open one.

You need to use an injected UserTransaction instance to do the
transaction stuff and leave the entitymanager do db stuff and the
entitymanager will participate in the transaction.

-Wesley