> Hi list,
>
> We are currently in the process of setting up a production environment
> with resin 4.0.x on our Linux servers. Currently we are testing resin
> 4.0.7.
>
> First of all I would like to mention that the watchdog documentation
> http://caucho.com/resin-4.0/admin/starting-resin-watchdog.xtp
> is repeating point 1 - 7 in point 8 to 14.
Thanks, that will be fixed with the next doc release.

> We have experience with resin 3.0.x from earlier, so the biggest change
> for us is the watchdog.
>
> Experiments with a single, shared watchdog has however left us with some
> questions:
>
> 1) With a single, shared watchdog we manage to specify where the
> watchdog places its logs with the -log-directory argument to resin.jar,
> however that also results in the jvm-logs for each resin application
> will be placed in the same directory. Especially on our development
> server it would be convenient to have these located along with the logs
> of the application, like we get when running a watchdog for each
> application. Is it possible to specify in watchdog.xml where the jvm for
> each application should be placed?

You can change the log's location in resin.xml configuration file using
log-hanlder.

  <log-handler name="" level="all" path="/var/logs/${server.id}.log"
               timestamp="[%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%s] {%{thread}} "/>

> 2) In addition to experimenting with the watchdog we have been testing
> /resin-admin which might turn quite useful for some of the applications
> we are running. However, we were wondering if it is possible to run one
> single /resin-admin in watchdog.xml in order to "monitor" all our
> applications? If that is not possible I guess we have to sett up a
> /"app"-admin for each applications we want to monitor.
> For historical reasons we have a setup where each applications has its
> own resin.xml file, and we would like to keep it like this for the
> future as well since we find it easier to administrate.

The watchdog's purpose is to keep resin instances running, (re)starting them
when necessary (failures). It doesn't run any apps, but the /resin-admin
deployed on any node in the cluster will track every server in the cluster.

> 3) What is the gain of having only one watchdog?
Needing fewer resources – each watchdog would be a separate JVM otherwise.

Different physical machines will have separate instances of watchdog.

Thanks,
Alex