We are running a struts based application inside Resin.

In cases where a runtime error occurs for jsp pages (eg expected objects
referenced on the page not found in the session) it seems that the
response has already been generated partially when the error occurs and
then the error page as specified in our resin.xml gets added to the
response and sent to the client browser.

Because we are using gzip, this results in content encoding errors in
the browser because it seems as if the error page is gzipped inside the
main response which is also gzipped (I am guessing that this is what is
occuring). If the gzip filter is disabled we get the part complete
response with the error page tagged onto the end and a non functioning
web page.

Error pages are specified in resin.xml for the application as follows:

Is this something that Resin should be able to handle, or is it just
inevitable in the face of jsp runtime errors?  Is there something we
should do or configure to prevent the response being sent untill the jsp
has processed without error?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan Wright
Athene Systems

tel 0845 230 9803

Athene Systems Limited
Registered Office:
Shieling House
Invincible Road
GU14 7QU

Registered in England and Wales No. 3156080