On 02/22/2012 11:08 AM, Aaron Freeman wrote:
> Does Resin 4.0 have any notion of handling a situation where a large HTTP
> MULTIPART POST request has come in (a large file transfer for example), and
> then when one of the nodes of the cluster that is handling that MULTIPART
> POST were to go offline, another node would take over with no interruption
> between the client and the cluster?
>
> If not, is there any technology that handles large MULTIPART POSTs in some
> redundant form like that?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

At the base level, a POST is just a stream of bytes. The multipart/mime
handling is just a convenience parser on top so you don't have to parse
it yourself. A half-parsed POST (or fully parsed, but not processed)
isn't something that can be failed over automatically, because the
individual Parts aren't really meaningful.

But we also can't failover POSTs at all once the dispatch has begun,
because there's no way for Resin to know if the application's POST
handling is idempotent, safe to retry. We can failover on a
load-balancer/app-server connection failure, or on a 503 response, but
not on any other kind of response.

-- Scott