On 08/01/2012 08:19 AM, Chen Bangzhong wrote:
Hi, All

We run resin 3.1.9 open source version in our production environment. The visit is about 5M visit/day per resin instance. We ran into the resin hang problem several times. We belive it is the same problem as bug 3509

http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=3509

All the threads are deadlocked and the number of threads is approaching the thread-max setting.

Is there any workaroud to bug 3509 except upgrade to 4.0? Is this bug fixed in resin 3.1 ? Can we disable access log to workaroud this problem?

Does your thread dump show the same place that it's blocking on as in that bug report? i.e. the access log.

Besides, what's the suggested thread-max for resin ? We set it to 3000, is it too big?

That's a good value.

If we set it to a lower value, what will happen if the concurrent requests exceeds the thread-max value?

In a normal situation, you shouldn't reach the thread-max ever. (Resin 4.0.x enforces that better with a port-thread-max.)

If it hits thread max, Resin will queue new thread requests until one is idle.

Another observation is that when the problem arise, the number of threads is approaching the thread-max setting. I want to know under what condition will resin start a new thread?

There's a thread-idle-min value. When the number of idle threads drops below that value, Resin spawns a new one. That generally avoids any actual wait for a new thread to be spawned, because they're normally taken from the idle pool.

Our environment:

Jdk 1.6.21 on CentOS 5.3 64bit
Resin 3.1.9 open source version
-Xms 4G -Xmx 4G -Xmn 1200m

 <jvm-arg>-Xmn1200m</jvm-arg>
      <jvm-arg>-Xms4000m</jvm-arg>
      <jvm-arg>-Xmx4000m</jvm-arg>
      <jvm-arg>-Xss128k</jvm-arg>

  <memory-free-min>100M</memory-free-min>
      <thread-max>3000</thread-max>
      <socket-timeout>65s</socket-timeout>
      <keepalive-max>250</keepalive-max>
      <keepalive-timeout>10s</keepalive-timeout>

These look fine.

-- Scott

thanks.