You probably want to run "ulimit -a" in your shell and see if you may be
running up against the limit for the number of open files per OS user.

Also, with small heaps (256MB) and very dynamic URLs I have found that
Resin's "invocation cache" takes almost the entire heap.  At least as of
version 3.1.8.  Luckily it is relatively easy to configure is smaller
(<invocation-cache-size>).

Good luck,

Knut Forkalsrud