The need to create a symlink was when I was setting up my development
environment in the fall of 2013.  When I recently helped some other developers
compile Resin 4.0.41 with openssl on OS X 10.9, I did not have to create the
symlink.  The configure script found the openssl libraries.  I never researched
why.  I guess that either a new version of Resin, an update to OS X 10.9 or an
update to Xcode resolved the issue.