From: Vincent Ngundi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:53:30
To:AfriNIC Policy Working Group List <>
Subject: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6 Provider
        Independent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Hi All,

I hereby submit the above policy proposal for discussion by the AfriNIC
community. I have tried to incorporate_most of the suggestions in the previous
discussions and it's my hope that we will, from this draft and your
suggestions, come up with a policy that will serve the AfriNIC community and
the Internet community at large well.

It's worth noting that other RIR's have *similar* but *varied* policies for the
same end, part of the reason being that the communities in the different
regions have different needs. It's also worth noting that policies are_not
static and as such can be modified/revised as the need arises. Bottom line is
that we need a policy that will allow us to exploit the emerging Internet
technologies, IPv6 in this case.

I truly hope that we'll have a fruitful discussion and that we shall have a
policy to work with after the next Open Public Policy meeting in Abuja.

Name                    :       Vincent Ngundi
                                        Alain Aina
Organisation            :       Kenya Network Information Center - KeNIC
Policy Affected :
Date                    :       30th January 2007

Proposal                :       IPv6 Provider Independent (PI) Assignment for
Policy Term             :       Permanent

Incentive               :       The current policy does not allow IPv6 provider
independent (PI) address assignment to any 'end-sites'. In addition, lack of
IPv6 transport will compel many 'end-sites' to tunnel. Thus, to avoid
renumbering when                                     IPv6 transport will be
available, a provider independent assignment seems reasonable. More so, not all
LIR's have IPv6 address space allocations. This makes it impossible for
end-users to get PA IPv6
 address space from such upstreams (LIR's). This policy is also aimed at
providing IPv6 address space to such end-users as long as they already have or
qualify to get PI IPv4 addresses.

This policy allows 'end-sites' to be assigned IPv6 provider independent (PI)
addresses. 'end-sites' include End-Users who already have or qualify to get
IPv4 PI addresses and critical Infrastructure providers such as TLD root server
operators and public Internet eXchange Points (IXP's).

Current Situation

AfriNIC has discussed similar proposals recently during it's last two Open
Policy meetings but both proposals have been returned to the public mailing
lists for further discussion due to lack of consensus.

(1) Assignment target:

End-sites which provide Public Internet services for a single administrative
organisations' network, regardless of their size.

(2) Assignment criteria:

* The end-site must not be an IPv6 LIR

* The end-site must become an AfriNIC End User Member and pay the normal
AfriNIC fee for its' membership category

* The end site must either:
   - be a holder of IPv4 PI address space or
   - qualify for an IPv4 PI assignment from AfriNIC under the IPv4 policy
currently in effect.

* The end-site must justify the need for the IPv6 PI address space.

* The 'end-site' must show a plan to use and announce the IPv6 provider
independent address space within twelve (12) months. After that period, if not
announced, the assigned IPv6 PI address space should be reclaimed and returned
to the free pool by AfriNIC.

(3) Provider Independent (PI) address space:

* The provider independent (PI) assignment should be made from a specified /32

* The intial provider independent assignment size to an end-site should be a
/48, or a shorter/longer prefix if the end-site can justify it.

Effect on AfriNIC

No direct effect on the existing AfriNIC members, nor changes to the current
IPv6 allocation criteria.

resource-policy mailing list