Thanks for the replay.

This is what I have but my app does not return the output specified in
the ExceptionMapper. Instead it throws "HTTP Status 500" html error. Any
Idea why this happen? Am I suppose to do anything else except that I have
done so far? Like web.xml configuration?

@Provider
public class NuwanExceptionMapper implements
ExceptionMapper<RuntimeException> {

    @Override
    public Response toResponse(RuntimeException e) {

        String msg = e.getMessage();
        StringBuilder response = new StringBuilder("<response>");
        response.append("<status>failed</status>");
        response.append("<message>" + msg + "</message>");
        response.append("</response>");
        return
Response.serverError().entity(response.toString()).type("application/xml").build();
    }
}

*Interface*
*
*
@GET
    @Path("testWs")
    @Produces({MediaType.APPLICATION_XML})
    public NichProWSResponse testWs(@MatrixParam("status") String status,
@MatrixParam("message") String message) throws RuntimeException;

*Implementation*

public NichProWSResponse testWs(String status, String message) throws
RuntimeException {
        NichProWSResponse response = new NichProWSResponse();
        if (status.equals("404")) {
            throw new RuntimeException();
        }
        else if (status.equals("202")) {