So continuing to peel back the onion... and getting somewhere...

Thanks for the pointers.  I re-read the docs especially around

http://docs.jboss.org/resteasy/docs/3.0-beta-4/userguide/html/oauth2.html#d4e1454

I noticed that the commerce-roles.properties for the current OAuth2
examples has the following:

bbu...@redhat.com=user,products
admin=admin
customer-portal=login
product-portal=login
third-party=oauth,*

I see that the oauth-client-example project is using the client-id
"third-party" which is specified in
the org.jboss.resteasy.example.oauth.Bootstrap.contextInitialized().  What
I want to do is to get a bearer tokan programmatically as is done in as is
done in the client-grant example
(i.e. org.jboss.resteasy.example.oauth.ProductDatabaseClient.getProducts()
) but I want to specify the client-id so that I can limit the roles that
are encoded in the bearer token.  My assumption is that
since org.jboss.resteasy.example.oauth.ProductDatabaseClient.getProducts()
is using basic authentication to the auth server that the bearer token
returned will have all roles for bbu...@redhat.com.

So my question is can I easily modify the
ProductDatabaseClient.getProducts() so that I am specifying a client-id for
the resulting bearer token and if so can you point at the right part of the
API that I should be looking at?

Thanks much,
Doug