THe sole purpose of GenericEntity (and GenericType) is Java type
erasure.  Take this example:

List<Customer> list = ...;

return Response.ok(list).build();

With this, Resteasy has no clue about the generic type of "list".  All
it knows is that it is a java.util.List.  Java just doesn't let you
derive the generic type at runtime.  GenericEntity/Type is a hack.
Generic type information of extended superclasses *IS* stored and
remembered by the java runtime.  So this anonymous class is using this
trick to obtain generic type information.  Follow now?

On 8/13/2013 10:55 AM, Juergen Zimmermann wrote:
> When I need an instance of GenericEntity I've to create an object of an
> anonymous class derived from GenericEntity. Therefore, I'm wondering why
> GenericEntity isn't a concrete class? Any hint is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Juergen

Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat