John,

Hibernate Validator should only be creating a validator factory once
for the deployment.  Hence, it should only be reading validation.xml
at deployment time.  The fact that you are seeing it multiple times is
why I'm thinking its a validator issue (I don't reproduce this on
mine, I'm on AS 7.1.1 w/ Validator 4.3.1).  Hence why I'm curious what
version you're on.  Hibernate Validator is responsible for the
instantiation of the validator factory.

Also, I assumed (possibly foolishly) that your rest endpoint is
annotated with a CDI or EJB qualifying annotation.  Is that the case?

Just as a heads up as well, the InjectingConstraintValidator was
recently ported from Seam3 to DeltaSpike.  The code is almost
verbatim.