Just to close the loop on this - yes, cookies are stored by default.
Made my life much easier.

One other question.  I'm essentially building a standalone client to
my main app, one that's pretty independent and meant to run standalone
(either in an SE runtime or a pure servlet container).  I'm trying to
keep the client as small as possible.  One thing I noticed is that
resteasy-jaxrs is brought in by resteasy-jaxrs-client.  I'm assuming
this is by design due to some of the shared capabilities of client and
server.  Is this whole JAR really necessary though? Is there perhaps a
smaller set of packages I could use, and shade into a custom JAR I'm
building?

John