I've been having substantial problems with my CD-RW setup for a while.  I
use a Mac 7600, running MacOS 8.5, with Retrospect 4.1A and driver update
1.7.  The device is a Yamaha 6416S with 1.0c firmware, connected via an
Adaptec 2906 SCSI card.  There's also a ZIP drive and an old Agfa Studioscan
scanner on the bus.

The background is this. I originally had a Yamaha 4416 connected to the
Mac's external SCSI bus, and the device gave us serious problems, mainly
using Toast, although Retrospect wasn't working too well either. The 4416
went back, and we have a loaner 6416 until it's fixed.  Other kinds of
problems have led us to install the Adaptec SCSI card, upgrade from 8.1 to
8.5 and re-format the hard disk.  All of these have now been done, the last
of which was the re-format, last night.

I tried to backup three times last night to TDK CD-R media.  The backup
failed each time. The log shows this:

Trouble writing: "1-Hard Disk A" (63963136), error 100 (device rejected
Trouble writing: "1-Hard Disk A" (27000832), error 214 (device busy)
Trouble writing: "1-Hard Disk A" (155713536), error 214 (device busy)

I gave up at that point, having written off three CD-Rs.  The backup would
have been about 700MB uncompressed.  I don't think it managed to get past
about 200MB.

I can't find error 100 in the documentation, and error 214 is cited as being
similar to 114, related to file sharing, which isn't an issue here.  I also
don't know what the parenthesised numbers in each error message are.

If anyone has any thoughts about what might be happening, I'd love to hear
them.  Thanks for any advice or suggestions,

Pete Hornby
Laguna Beach/CA