We run a series of nightly backups using Retrospect 4.1A, backing up
around 20 Mac's and 20 Win98 PC's.  Ever since the Windows backups
were added, we've experienced occasional crashes of the backup Mac.
Often this has been accompanied by corrupted catalogues (chunk
checksum errors).

After months of studying it we have found one reproducable problem:
if someone shuts down or reboots one of the Win98 PC's while it is
being backed up, the backup Mac will often crash.  We also have other
problems backing up the Windows boxes, with network communications
failures on different slower PC's regularly.  At first some of PC's
were Win95 so we thought that was part of the problem.  But we've
now upgraded all of them to Win98 and the symptoms are still occuring.

There are no other network related problems on these boxes; we
use file sharing fine and uses regularly utilize Netscape to access
the 'net over tcp/ip connections through a router.  All is fine there.

In summary:  has anyone experienced problems with Mac crashes when
backing up Win98 PC's and/or regular "network communications failed"
and/or "chunk checksum errors"?  Thanks!

| Computronics                   Randy Styka, [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| 4N165 Wood Dale Road           Phone:  630/941-7767             |
| Addison, Illinois  60101 USA                                    |