Most, if not all, audio DAT machines have a digital output, which when coupled
with the proper computer hardware/software (Digidesign http://www.digidesign.com
Sonic http://www.sonic.com ) will allow you to capture the audio from the DAT
without "Digital->Analog->Digital" conversion.

I would try to contact a local audio mixing facility which should have the
equipment and the expertise to help you.

-- Shawn Sterling
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Tom's Easy Way Film Service