First, the good news:

My nightly backup saved the day!  The harddrive on my wife's Mac died
during the comparison pass of the nightly backup.  (How's that for
timing?)  So I was able to restore her system onto a replacement drive
with no loss of data.  Yeah, Retrospect!

Now, the problem:

Before the restore, Mac OS file sharing allowed me to open all folders on
her harddrive from my Mac.  But now all of the restored folders are
displayed as locked (i.e., a belt around the folder icon).  Folders
created after the restore are not locked.

Unlocking the older folders?

I suppose that I could unlock each of the older folders by creating a new
folder and moving all of the content.  I suppose that I could also
explicitly setup file sharing for each folder, but I've never had to do
that before.

Instead, I'd prefer to understand what has gone wrong and apply an
appropriate fix.

-- Ward