on 3/31/2000 2:32 AM, Jeremy Olsen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> However, should I be looking at backing
> up our new iMacs with something USB-based? What is there in fact? I've
> not looked at this for three years so am not up-to-date on smaller
> scale options (I'm familiar with DLT and its costs and it really isn't
> justified for this size of operation and AIT seems to fall into the
> same camp).

I wouldn't worry about the USB options, there aren't any USB tape drives

I use a 7600 with a LaCie DDS-3 drive attached and get good results
(remembering to clean the heads every 15 hours or so). Ours cost about
$1,000 US direct from LaCie
DDS 3 tapes cost about $25. These drives have hardware compression and I
back up almost everything we have every night on them.

We backup about 25 GB a night.

You probably need to get past the nubus Mac and get into PCI. Even a 6400 or
7500 will do and you can put fast ethernet on it pretty cheap and get a lot
of backup for your money.

Hope this helps.

Don Foy              Herald-Citizen
Webmaster and Network Administrator