I get anywhere from 25-100 MB/min depending upon the client source,
and this is over a standard Fast/Narrow SCSI (10 MB/s)

I think the speed limit in this case are the tape writes,
 so a faster interface would not be of benefit

10bT clients I found max out around 30MB/min,
 100bT clients at 45-55 MB/min.

The backup machine is running Retrospect 4.1,
and also runs ASIP 5.0.3 on a 150MHz 9600 w/256 MB Ram
(your mileage may vary)

A nubus Mac would not probably not benefit
from a 100bT NIC because of bus limitations.

Hope this helps
-Philip

>What range of data transfer rate do you get with that DDS-3?
>Is it fast enough to warrant a SCSI accelerator (F, F/W, U or U2)?
>

>> on Friday 3/31/2000 Don Foy wrote:
>> I use a 7600 with a LaCie DDS-3 drive attached and get good results
>> (remembering to clean the heads every 15 hours or so). Ours cost about
>> $1,000 US direct from LaCie
>> <http://www.lacie.com/scripts/backup/backup.cfm>.
>> DDS 3 tapes cost about $25. These drives have hardware
>> compression and I
>> back up almost everything we have every night on them.
>>
>> We backup about 25 GB a night.
>>
>> You probably need to get past the nubus Mac and get into PCI.
>> Even a 6400 or
>> 7500 will do and you can put fast ethernet on it pretty cheap
>> and get a lot
>> of backup for your money.
>

>Daniel O'Donnell
>NBC 2000
>3000 W. Alameda Ave.
>Burbank CA 91523
>818.840.6610 (voice)
>818.840.3390 (fax)
>
>        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
>        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.
>

>--
>Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Philip Chonacky, IS Manager
Barrett Companies