> We bought an internal VXA 1 SCSI tape drive to replace the DLT 4000 that
> died on us last week.  Our backup server is a Powermac 7200/90.  While the
> price and capacity of  the device are great (< 66 GB with 2:1 compression),
> we are having trouble getting the data transfer rate even close to what the
> DLT provided.
> Using Retrospect 4.2, we backup over our 100Mb TCPIP network, from b/wG3
> 300 ASIP server.  The DLT gave us <80MB/minute in the same configuration.
> The VXA drive transfer rate ranges from 18 to 45MB/minute. After
> eliminating SCSI and ethernet problems, we have seen little improvement.
> I can only conclude that the DLT has a superior speed due to the native
> hardware compression.

Software compression will slow your backups, especially on a 7200/90. Try turning
off the software compression. That will at least give you a baseline.

> The question is this:  Does processor speed have that great an impact on
> transfer when using software compression?  Would a G3 improve the software
> compression speed enough to get the transfer rates up above 70MB/minute?

A G3 would definitely be faster.

> BTW, I tried running Retrospect on the ASIP server, and when I arived the
> next morning, my server had locked up...no files had been backed up.  Is
> this a known issue with ASIP 6.2?

I'm not in tech support, so I don't know all the issues. Other folks on the list
will certainly have opinions. I know Retrospect works for a lot of people with
ASIP 6.2, so you may want to send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you are
planning to move the tape drive to that computer.