Hi,

First let me say thanks to everyone who responded to my questions about the
G4 I had crashing over night.  Several people told me there were OT
software updates. Turns out when he turned off Retrospect the crashing
stopped. I don't think that was the whole problem though because I found
duplicate copies of several extensions when I went to turn Retro back
on.  We'll see now if he still crashes.

Now on to another nagging question:

My users are quite annoyed that every time a full backup of our AppleShare
file server occurs the server seems to hang.  Error logs show a 519
error.  This happens about 99% of the time a full backup of every server
volume is done.

Specs:

File Server is a PowerMac 7600/132 with 64 MB of RAM running OS 8.1 and
ASIP 5.0.3. It has Retrospect client 4.2 and backups up via TCP/IP using
the built-in Ethernet.  It has 2 9G disk drives attached to it, one is
partitioned into 3 partitions and the other 2 (only one is active). I
realize this machine is the lowest end configuration for ASIP but I'm still
convincing them to buy a new machine.

Backup server is a PowerMAc 7500/100 with 32 MB of RAM running OS
7.6.1.  Tape drive is a HP Sure Store DAT24.  Retrospect server software is
also 4.2.

Until I can get them to buy a new file server does anyone have any idea
what I might be able to do to stop the crashing?

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa Weihl, System Administrator  E-mail:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Computer Science    Office:    Hayes 225
Bowling Green State University    Phone:     (419) 372-0116
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403-0214    Fax:       (419) 372-8061