Hi Alex,

I don't have any direct experience with SQL server but we run Faircom on
NT.  We set it up to run as a service instead of an application - you can
do this with srvany.exe (or something like that, it's in the server
resource kit).  Once you set it up as a service you can stop & start it
with the AT command scheduler.  Faircom has a provision to stop open keys
& indexes to gracefully shut it down.  I suppose SQL has something

Anyhoo, the AT command set actually runs a batch that gracefully shuts
down the service.  Then it's a snap to backup with retrospect.  You can
schedule another AT command to restart the server after that.  Goodbye
leaky NT server.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but maybe it's a

Mark Maytum
Pompanoosuc Mills Corporation

"Alex Lisak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
04/26/00 12:01 PM
Please respond to "retro-talk"

        To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Subject:        External Script

I have Windows NT 4.0 server with SQL 6.5, running Retrospect 5.11.
Does anyone know how to write a script to stop SQL before the backup
starts and start it when its finished?

Thank you,