> At 01:38 PM 4/27/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>  >I'm not sure exactly what evaluation you're interested in... from my
>  >experience, a virtual machine in VMWare CAN have a Retrospect client
>  >installed on it, and be successfully backed up over the network.
>  >
>  >I don't think you'd want to run a Retrospect server within a VMWare
>  >virtual machine, for performance reasons if nothing else.
> Well, my thought is would it run in the parent system without problems -
> and concurrently with one of the child processes.
> Say you have NT.  You want to use it with NT and 98.  Would it work in
> either?  (Though not running Retrospect at the same time in both places, of
> course.)  Leads to some interesting functionality questions.
> For example - say you support Retrospect and want to use NT and 98 on a
> particular machine.  If you didn't have this, you'd have to reboot to get
> from one OS to the other.  Would this work so that you could just switch
> from one to the other and then crank up Retrospect?
> I'll wager that the tradeoff would be that you'd want to make sure you have
> sufficient memory and processing power - and it may well be useless on
> older machines.  The downside is that it would be too esoteric, IMHO.
> Joy

Although I haven't used VMWare, I would imagine that backing up one of these
virtual machines would be similar to backing up a VirtualPC installation on
a Mac. When Retrospect backs up a Mac drive with VPC on it, if VPC has been
run at all since the last backup, Retrospect will see the changed
modification date on the HD file & back it up. All umpteen MB's of it. I
generally set up Macs that use VPC so that Retrospect ignores the HD file,
then run the Retrospect Windows client from within VPC so that only those
files that have actually changed are backed up.

Here's a thought; could you run a VMWare machine inside VirtualPC? How about
a VMWare machine inside a VMWare machine? Oooh. I think I need a vacation.

David G. Thornton
Graphics Systems Manager
CCL Label, Sioux Falls, SD

"I don't view wealth as something that validates my intelligence."
        Steve Jobs