[1]Re: Miscompare on same file   6/16/2000
I will be on vacation till 7/5/2000.
If you need immediate assistance, call Help Desk at 6688.

Date: 6/16/2000 11:21 AM
From: Luke Jaeger
 I had similar flakiness with a VXA drive and various 3rd-party scsi
cards (Adaptec 29160 and Orange Micro 930U), but it worked fine with
built-in scsi. Ecrix wasn't particularly helpful in diagnosing this
problem. (In fact they suggested I try a 2930, so it's interesting that
you had the same thing happen with their recommended card).

Greg Morin wrote:
> > Ok, solved one problem, now I've got another. I'm 99% sure the
> problem is with our Adaptec 2930U card that our VXA drive is attached
> to and _not_ the VXA drive. The problem is that now I'm getting
> miscompares on certain files. The weird thing is that it is the same
> files every night. The files themselves are fine on the client
> computer (i.e. no damage, they work just fine). I realize you can get
> miscompares when a file is in use or has changed since the backup...
> but these are "not in use" documents on shutdown down systems
> (waiting for backup of course :-). If the file is modified, the next
> backup will sometimes get it backed up, sometimes not. I'm afraid to
> do a new backup, at this rate I'll have thousands of files
> miscomparing.
> > Before I put the VXA drive on this card it ran off the motherboard
> SCSI and although slow on that, it never gave me these miscompares.
> Also, we've been using a DDS-2 drive for over 2 years with no history
> of miscompares... so it's not a general network problem (happens on
> backup of local drives also).
> > I highly suspect the 2930 card because I discovered that when I have
> any hard drive attached to the card externally that any application
> on that drive will not launch w/o giving some random error (Type 1,
> 2, 90 something, or a dialog saying the app is damaged). I can move
> the same drive to the motherboard SCSI bus and all is well... so the
> files are not really damaged. I played around with every possible
> configuration of termination and Adaptec settings, nothing works
> (this was all done with the VXA drive detatched to ensure it was not
> the source of the problem... ).
> > I've written to Adaptec but haven't heard anything back yet. Anybody
> else run into a similar problem before? Do I just have a bad card? Do
> I need to start playing the PCI port roulette game (i.e. moving it
> from port to port until one of them works)? I vaguely remember
> something about the port mattering on these 6 port machines...
> something about a bridge chip and the video board?? (This is a Power
> Tower Pro 225)
> > Any and all advice/comments would be welcome,
> > -Greg Morin
> > --
> Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

top of the world,

Luke Jaeger, Technology Coordinator
Disney Magazine Publishing
Northampton, Massachusetts

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and may not represent
the opinions of Disney Publishing, etc etc etc.

RFC822 header