I've encountered the following behavior on several occasions in the
past and just wondering what might be going on. Since I'm able to
work around the problem it's not critical, just more of an observed
oddity.

Yesterday one of my users managed to trash her Mac's boot partition
sufficiently that diagnostic tools weren't having a lot of luck. I
decided that I would just restore the drive from a backup made
earlier in the week.

To prepare, I booted from an external hard drive with a copy of
Retrospect Client (4.2A) installed, verified that the partition was
HFS+ and 1024MB in size then erased the partition using the Finder's
Erase Disk command (set to HFS+ format).

 From the Retrospect Server I set up to do an immediate restore to
entire disk to the newly erased partition. However, after Retrospect
went through the process of identifying the files that needed to be
restored, it told me that the 1.22GB of files was 196MB too much.
Having encountered this problem before, I manually unselected enough
items to get below the "limit" then proceeded with the restore. Once
that was done, I went through the restore to entire disk process
again. This time after identifying the files that needed to still be
restored (basically the ones that I unselected on the first pass), it
said that the disk would have 4M free after restoring. After
restoring those files, all files that were part of that particular
snapshot had been successfully restored to the partition. Just to be
sure, I went through the restore to entire disk one more time. When
it got to the file identification stage, Retrospect indicated that no
additional files to be restored since all the files were already on
the destination partition. After the final restore, the amount of
data on the partition was less than 850MB.

My question is why is Retrospect incorrectly reporting/calculating
the space requirement of the data during the restore process? It
appeared to correctly calculate the amount of data (~840MB) when I
did a test backup of the newly restored partition.

The Server is a PowerMac G3 b&w, 128MB RAM, Mac OS 9.0.4, Retrospect
4.2. The client is a PowerMac G3 beige, 192MB RAM, Mac OS 8.5.1,
Client 4.2A. Back up was to a DLT4000 drive.

I've had this happen to me on other occasions involving other
PowerMacs, earlier versions of Retrospect (4.0 and 4.1 if memory
servers), and/or while doing local backups to a Mac file set. In
almost all cases I could work around the problem by doing multi-pass
restores, or in one case restoring to a larger drive then using
Retrospect to duplicate the restore data to the proper drive.

Thanks
--

----
Michael Gaines                                  snail mail:     Learning Technology

Nashville, TN 37203
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    (615) 322-2480