You're probably receiving error -1017 when running automatically because the
Retrospect Launcher service (the service that allows Retrospect to
autolaunch) is configured to log in as a user that does not have access to
this network volume (I'm assuming this is a Microsoft Networking volume).

Windows NT 4.0
1. Open the Services Control Panel.
2. Select Retrospect Launcher and then click the Startup button.
3. In the ≥Log On As≤ section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear
in the field to the right.
4. Change ≥LocalSystem≤ to the account you want to use and then enter your
password in the two password fields. (This allows automatic backup while
logged in as the specified account, or while logged out.)
5. Restart Windows.

For step 4: this user has to be a local administrator, or member of the
local administrators group.

Best Regards,
Irena