>>> I'm running it on a beige G3 300MHz desktop. I wouldn't trust a Power
>>> Computing system as a backup server...those are the Packard-Bell of the Mac
>>> clone world.
>> Actually, most of the motherboards are the same as the Apple equivalents.
>> They changed other things like floppy drives and CD-ROM drives to a cheaper
>> 3rd party though.
>> I had a customer that had a Power Computing PPC.  Equivalent to the 8500. I
>> opened it up and the motherboard had an Apple part number on it.  The
>> processor board was made by someone else.  The floppy drive had died within
>> months of getting the system.  The CD-ROM drive makes an awful noise, but it
>> still works.  The power supply is basically an ATX power supply that was
>> modified a little.
> I think that is exactly what the first contributor meant when he said he
> wouldn't trust one!

Hmph. I've been running a PowerComputing 100 (their first clone)
continuously for since 1995. I never turn it off. I have the original
everything--including the Apple keyboard and mouse. Not as upgradeable, not
as nice looking, but it has been a workhorse for me all this time. Got an
excellent price, and PowerComputing was a great company to work with back
then (haven't called them in years). The tech support they offered was
outstanding. I guess YMMV.

Now, having said that, I wouldn't use it as a backup server, but I don't
think I'd trust any 5-year-old-plus machine as a backup server.

Scott Ponzani
(Working with a G3 now, but that PC-100 is still switched on as I type