If you get a "resynchronizing (slow)" while rebuilding your catalog from the
backup media and this message stays up for longer than 10-20 minutes, it
means that the recatalog process has failed and will not continue any
further. Retrospect is trying to continue with the process but is unable to.

This message is a result of trying to read from a tape that lacks an end of
data marker (EOD), perhaps as a result of an unexpected stop during a
backup. Most likely you will not be able to continue using that Backup Set
and should create a new one altogether, although the data on the tape up to
that point is still good and most likely may be restored.

This came up in an earlier thread on recurring catalog out of sync errors;
if you haven't already, take a look at Tech Note 406 on our website. This
discusses missing EOD markers:

As always, feel free to give us a call with any questions.

Irena Solomon
Dantz Technical Support
Try our new Searchable Knowledgebase at: