>> Concur! This one is very close to the top of my wishlist. I am aware that
>> Applescript can calculate the free space on a volume, so an automated
>> workaround to this one should be possible.
>>
>> IE: if freespace on backup HD > xGb, run normal backup, else run new media
>> backup, and increment value of xGb.
>>
>> Sadly, my Applescripting abilities aren't quite up to the
>task!

tell application "Finder"
        set space to (free space of startup disk) / 1024 / 1024
end tell

if space < 50 then
        tell application "Retrospect"
                execute "your_script_name_here" to "name_of your storage set here"
type "Normal"
        end tell
else
        tell application "Retrospect"
                execute "your_script_name_here" to "name_of your storage set here"
type "Full"
        end tell
end if

The above script should be easily modifiable, just set your script names and storage
set names as applicable and change the type of backup if necessary. Retrospect also
supports "New" as a backup type.

Best thing to do is to inspect Retrospect's Applescript dictionary using Script Editor.

Another way to do this would be to get the Finder to open a specified run document in
any given scenario.

I thoroughly recommend Bill Brigg's Applescript Primers on MacCentral as a great way
to start learning Applescript