On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 08:23 -0500, Karoly Molnar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After reviewing the XML you provided the following question arose in me:
>
> - What is the advantage of grouping the accounts by account type in the XML?
>
> One of the feature what you'd like to implement is to be able to modify
> the fields for an account. If you group the account by type and the
> field description is defined for the type all of the accounts for that
> type must have those fields. I see in the file that you can easily add
> new custom fields, but why can't you remove something what you don't
> need. ;-))) I know stop barking....
[snip]

Well, it's not really a bad idea, and it is true that it would greatly
simplify the code. However, there are a few reasons why it is useful to
link the account to the account type (or template, if you will) it
belongs to:

- to search or group accounts; for example, to have a dropdown for all
the account types when searching, or to display a menu of account types
and all the accounts for them

- to have some common data for a group of accounts, such as the launcher
(so you don't have to manually set up a browser launcher for all web
accounts, or change every account when you change your browser), or the
icon (to visualize the account type in the account list)

- to make template changes retroactively affect the accounts that
belongs to them (for example, adding a field should add that field to
all accounts created from the template, and changing the icon or
launcher should change it for all accounts)

I also think it's easier to organize the accounts when you have account
types, instead of simply a collection of arbitrary accounts. At least to
me, the latter seems like it could get pretty messy after a while.

Oh, and it is still possible to add or remove fields on a per-account
basis (the XML example includes both of these), and

Anyone else care to comment on this?

--
Erik Grinaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://erikg.codepoet.no/