On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:45:05 +0700, Erik Grinaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 22:06 +0330, Mehdi Hassanpour wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I've lost my revelation's master password! I have my
> > revelation file created with revelation in Ubuntu Dapper and now
> > wanted to open it in revelation Ubuntu Feisty but can't.
> > Is there anyway I can recover my master revelation password?
> > If no, I wish you could add a feature like asking a secret question
> > etc., to recover the master password for comming releases...
> Sorry, no - there's no way to recover the password, as that would be a
> major security risk. Don't really want to add a secret question or
> something like that either, as I think it's too easy to break (anyone
> can find out your mothers maiden name, to take one example), and will
> make the file format more complex than it needs to be.

Indeed; secure encryption is a double-edged sword, in that when done
right, your data is effectively irrecoverable if you lose or destroy
the encryption key. You are essentially put into the exact same boat
that "bad guys" who might be trying to steal your data are in -- and
that boat is -intentionally- very difficult to get out of.

Revelation, at present, will always encrypt a keyring file. If you are
interested only in the password management aspect, and not at keeping
said passwords safe from others, it is possible (but *highly*
not-recommended) to force a revelation keyring to have a blank password:

1. Create a new keyring (File > New)
2. Save the keyring; enter a weak password when prompted (File > Save)
3. Change the keyring password; enter the old password when prompted,
and leave the new password fields blank (File > Change Password...)

Note that Revelation will not allow you to create the initial keyring
file with a blank password.