On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 13:08 -0600, Remi Broemeling wrote:
> Erik Grinaker wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 12:09 -0600, Remi Broemeling wrote:
> >> Hi, Erik.  I'd like to know when you have the development underway and
> >> can use a hand as well.  I'd like to help, and if I might add a feature
> >> request; I'd personally like to see a strong separation between the data
> >> and I/O portions of revelation and the GUI front-end... then I could
> >> make a console front-end while utilizing the same data backend (and not
> >> have it pull in any Gnome/X11 dependencies).
> >
> > Yep - the reason why it doesn't work right now is that we are using a
> > gtk.TreeStore subclass to store the accounts, and importing gtk requires
> > there to be a DISPLAY set. But this seems to have been fixed in pygtk
> > 2.10 (which Revelation 0.5.0 will depend on in any case), so it should
> > be a non-issue.
>
> Solving the DISPLAY having to be set will be nice, but I'd actually
> prefer if the change went a little further.  My suggestion is for the
> library side of revelation (the data-access side) to not depend on GTK
> at all.

Well, the data access side will necessarily depend on GTK/GNOME, as we
will be using GNOME-VFS for loading/saving data (so we can access it
over a network). But the file format handlers will only need to be
passed a string of data, so these can be made independent of GTK/GNOME.

> The reasoning behind this is fairly simple: I'd like to have a console
> version of revelation, I'd like to have it easily installable on a
> headless box that does not have GTK installed.  Installing GTK comes
> with a fair chunk of dependencies and other libraries that a headless
> box usually has little to no use for.

Good point.

> I've looked through the code a little bit, and I was hoping that we
> could take out gtk.TreeStore and replace it with a different TreeStore,
> one that isn't provided by GTK and doesn't depend on PyGTK/GTK.  I've
> spent a little time looking around and haven't found any obvious open
> source TreeStore classes (other than the one provided by GTK), but even
> then could we perhaps write a TreeStore class that doesn't depend on GTK
> instead of using PyGTK's?

Actually, since 0.5.0 won't organize accounts in a tree structure any
more, the file format handlers could just return a normal Python list of
Account objects, which shouldn't need to depend on GTK.

Would this be sufficient? The rest of the library would need GTK/GNOME,
but I don't think any of it would be of interest to a curses interface
in any case...

--
Erik Grinaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://erikg.codepoet.no/