Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium
New issue 1755 by email.app: LDAP does not appear to support multiple login
names for the same account (common with Mac OS X Server)
*NOTE: Do not post confidential information in this bug report.*
What version are you running?
What's the URL of the page containing the problem?
What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Set up a Mac OS X Server as an Open Directory Master (it uses OpenLDAP I
2. Set up Review Board on another server.
3. Configure Review Board to authenticate via LDAP with the following
LDAP Server: ldap://macosxserver.domain.com
LDAP Base DN: cn=users, dc=domain,dc=com
E-Mail LDAP Attribute: mail
Use TLS for authentication: unchecked
User Mask: (uid=%s)
Anonymous User Mask:
Anonymous User Password:
4. Log in using the "long name" of the user (i.e. "John Doe" instead
of "jdoe"). This is the cn LDAP attribute I believe, but Mac OS X maps
that to uid as well I think.
5. Log in using the "short name" (i.e. "jdoe"). This is the uid LDAP
attribute I believe.
What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
I expected both 4 and 5 to log me into the same user (because they are the
same user on Mac OS X Server). Instead, Review Board treats these as
separate users, and makes separate user entries etc. for them.
What operating system are you using? What browser?
Mac OS X 10.6.4 and Mac OS X Server 10.6.4. Safari 5.0.1.
Please provide any additional information below.
I tried changing the User Mask to "(|(uid=%s)(cn=%s))", but I was no longer
able to log in at all after that.
I tried editing reviewboard/accounts/backends.py like this.
1. Edit the LDAPBackend.get_or_create_user function (method? my Python
vernacular is poor...).
2. Change the line "user = User.objects.get(username=username)" to "user =
3. Delete reviewboard/accounts/backends.pyc.
4. Restart the web service (which is Apache 2 on Mac OS X Server I believe).
There was no change when I did these steps.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
To post to this group, send email to reviewboard-iss...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at