Thanks.  Good information.  That will keep me from spending any more
time messing with my ADMINS or basic users.

I've deleted the database using the mysql command "drop database
reviewboard" and then I created it again from scratch using "create
database reviewboard" and now, when I issue "manage.py syncdb" it just
hangs (just like I got with I tried doing "manage.py
createsuperuser").  I must have something messed up in my mysql config
that is messing up the superuser creation.

If I interrupt the initial "manage.py syncdb" (after about five
minutes of it just hanging).  I can see that, once again, I have a
bunch of tables in my db, but my admin stuff is still not there.  I'm
pretty sure this is the same thing that happened to me the first time.

That's a bit odd, since it indicates that manage.py is able to create
tables in my database (so it has access), but something else is
preventing it from creating the admin stuff?

Hmmm.