Good to know that we are working on improving the installation!
Hopefully I can help debug some of the issues.

I just removed the entire reviewboard directory, uninstalled MySQL, re-
downloaded reviewboard from SVN, set it up to use sqlite3, and I still
see the same hang.  Its been hung in the first "syncdb" for about five
minutes now.

Any tips on how to debug would be appreciated.

I'm sure this must be something specific in my machine configuration
of my XP server.  I'm using an account with admin privileges and I
have write permission to all the directories.  What does DJango do
when it tries to create a superuser account?  Does anyone know the
specifics?

Next up for me is to find a Linux server somewhere and try this all
again.  Sigh.